Generator Service: How Often & What Needs to be Done?
A question that all generator owners/operators should ask themselves is “generator service: how often & what needs to be done?” It’s very important to make sure your generator is serviced regularly to prevent generator failure problems down the road. Scheduling regular generator servicing will help your generator maintain efficiency and provide emergency power for many years to come.
Generator Servicing Needs
Following a few basic guidelines will make scheduling generator servicing a breeze. When thinking about how generator service, how often, and what needs to be done, ask yourself the following question: how often do I run the generator? Generators that run frequently will require service more often than backup generators that are rarely in use. No matter the amount of usage, however, all generators require basic maintenance, including:
- Clean Generator: All generators should be cleaned and checked for leaks annually.
- Change Oil: Oil should be changed every 50-60 hours of use to improve reliability.
- Replace Oil Filter: Oil filters should be replaced whenever the oil is changed to ensure the new oil is being filtered properly.
- Change Air Filter: Air filters need to be changed annually; dirty air filters won’t be able to draw the required amount of clean air.
- Change Spark Plugs: Spark plugs should be changed after roughly every 100 hours of use. The spark plugs should also be checked during generator servicing to make sure they’re not worn or cracked.
- Check Battery: Battery power level should be checked as well as the battery’s general status. Make sure there is no corrosion visible on the battery or its connections.
These tasks should be performed regularly; the frequency depends on factors such as the type of generator and usage. The generator’s manual should include recommendations on how often servicing should occur for that specific model.
Remember, calling a professional generator sales company like Woodstock is a great way to get the advice and help you need to service your generator yourself or to locate a professional to get the job done with expertise.
Woodstock: Generator Professionals
“Generator service: how often & what needs to be done” is just one of many topics Woodstock Power Company is here to help with. For all generator-related questions, and for help buying and selling used generators, contact our customer service today. Our staff is very knowledgeable about generators and generator sales and our inventory is full of gently used name brand units at steep discounts.